We Challenge Jerry Brown to a Bike Ride Across Los Angeles

Dear Jerry-

We need to talk. Not once but twice you’ve blindsided California cyclists by vetoing legislation that would make it illegal for a motorist to pass a cyclist by less than three feet. Congratulations on leaving Rick Perry in the dust by being the only governor to veto such a law an unprecedented second time.

I like to think of myself as a very low maintenance constituent but as a cyclist and co-owner of a cycling related business, I gotta say if you had to pick the one thing that would personally affect me each and every single day, your vetoes of safe passing laws would be very hard to top.

All we wanted was 36 lousy inches that would make an infinite amount of difference in terms of safety and give authorities a solid foundation when it comes to issuing citations when cyclists are struck from behind. If you haven’t noticed, your wet noodle stance on distracted driving hasn’t exactly convinced anyone to put their phone down and keep their eyes on the road. All too often, the guilty party walks away with a slap on the wrist thanks to no specific law being on the books. Meanwhile, if the cyclist is lucky, they’re alert during the ride to the ER.

So here’s what we’re going to do, Jerry, you possessor manly physical fitness you, you and me and whoever wants to tag along are going to take a little bike ride from our headquarters to the beach. That’s 19 mostly downhill miles and yes, consider this a challenge. While I respect your bravado for pulling down a prime Linda Ronstadt, I don’t think you’re man enough to handle a taste of what it feels like to get #JerryBrowned.

Seriously though, if you have any aspirations of going for a second second term, you’re going to need to start building up some goodwill because right now you’ve vetoed yourself into a hole at least 100,000 votes deep and what better way to start digging out than by taking a bike ride across the largest city in California?

Just picture it- we’d depart from a modern day mom and pop that began as a tiny-tiny company with just a single pair of pants that has grown into a tiny company (with world-wide distribution) employing a dozen people in the name of keeping US craftsmanship alive. Along the way to the beach we’ll ride though a variety of economically and ethnically diverse neighborhoods while basking in some the “best” bicycle infrastructure Los Angeles has to offer.

If you need to regroup after riding the harrowing stretch of Santa Monica Blvd that lacks a bike line due to Beverly Hills being a black hole for cycling, we can take a pit stop. I’ll even spring for lunch. (If you really wanted to get crafty, we could turn our lunch into a fundraising luncheon for you at the conveniently located Beverly Hilton. Just a thought.)

Once we leave Beverly Hills, we’ll have a bike lane all the way to the 405. Crossing under the 405 gets a little Mad Max-ish but it builds character as the say. The good news (if we survive that gauntlet) is the rest of the way is all downhill- unless we get doored or mowed down. Door to ocean we’re looking at a an hour and a half or so of ride time.

I know you’re a busy guy but wouldn’t it be worth a couple hours of your time to regain all those vote you will be losing come 2014? Plus, it’d be another thing you could taunt your pal Chris Christie about.

So think about it Jerry. If you’re down, your people can contact my people here. You pick the time and the day and I’ll take care of the rest. I’ll even make sure to get you a bike with a comfy seat that’s easy on your back. My dad’s your age and he still rides all the time. I’ll be sure to hit him up for some tips.

Sincerely,

Matt

15 Responses to “We Challenge Jerry Brown to a Bike Ride Across Los Angeles”

1. Wes Says:

I’m down. Lets roll Jerry!

October 5th, 2012 at 4:30 pm

2. An expanded CicLAvia goes off without a hitch; a killer driver walks with a virtual pat on the back « BikingInLA Says:

[...] bikewear manufacturer Swrve challenges two-time three-foot-law vetoing Governor Jerry Brown to a ride across Los Angeles; frankly, I doubt he cares any more than some judges I could name. What is bike advocacy, and who [...]

October 8th, 2012 at 8:06 am

3. Today’s Headlines | Streetsblog Los Angeles Says:

[...] Bike wear company challenges governor to ride across L.A. without getting Jerry Browned (Swrve) [...]

October 8th, 2012 at 4:04 pm

4. Mike Kim Says:

I challenge Jerry Brown to go through Olympic or Wilshire at night or rush hour.

Maybe #JerryBrowned will change to #JerryDoored.

October 8th, 2012 at 4:16 pm

5. Jeronimo Says:

You can dream, can’t you?

October 8th, 2012 at 4:29 pm

6. Jason Rivera Says:

words to Jerry B,

“It’s like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder
    how I keep from going under.”

October 8th, 2012 at 6:55 pm

7. acer Says:

Waste of time trying to convince him of this. He obviously vetoed it for a reason. Not a good reason, but a personal or selfish reason. He doesn’t care about cyclists. He cares about special interests and whoever it is that’s lining his pockets. The State Assembly and State Senate have both passed this thing on first tries – twice. Both times this legislation appeared on the Governor’s desk, it arrived accompanied by stacks of support letters literally tens of thousands deep. The first time it got to his desk there was some thinly veiled opposition by biased parties, but the second time there wasn’t even any public opposition to the bill. He still vetoed it over vague, nebulous legal concerns – concerns which, by the way, don’t seem to bother him when passing other much less reasonable legislation on a daily basis. He is more concerned with the selfish bitching and moaning of impatient drivers in a staggeringly tiny minority of outstandingly rare situations than with cyclists’ safety of person and property.

That is the bottom line. You cannot spin this any other way.

In short, the Jerry Brown is trash and I’m not voting for him ever again, whether he corrects this atrocious decision or not. He is blacklisted. I have had bleeding-heart liberal voting tendencies all my life and I would rather abstain than vote for this monster.

October 8th, 2012 at 7:26 pm

8. Uneedan Editor Says:

Matt,

If you’re going to write to the governor, you should take a minute to proofread your letter. The typos hurt your argument.

Also, even though you may disagree with him, he’s still the governor, deserving of a more respectful tone. (Linda Ronstadt? C’mon!)

October 9th, 2012 at 12:33 am

9. Simon Foot Says:

Who’d have thought that I, a London rider and resident, would be sympathising with a sun-bathed LA biker! Cycling would be so lovely if it weren’t for politicians. One day they’ll have to listen. But not until the oil runs out and the bio fuel crop fails!!!

October 9th, 2012 at 9:14 am

10. Casey Says:

You mean ‘struck from behind’ not ‘stuck from behind’.

October 9th, 2012 at 9:27 pm

11. Casey Says:

Also ‘you and I and whoever…’

If you want this challenge to be taken seriously, you should have someone proof your post.

October 9th, 2012 at 9:32 pm

12. Kirk Ohly Says:

Matt,
    sounds like a challenging ride, if I lived in LA, I would be there in full support mode. Make sure the bike has riser bars, should be a lot easier for him to see what is coming at him if he is sitting up straight.
    Best of luck,
    Kirk

October 12th, 2012 at 10:20 pm

13. The Bird Wheel | Cyclist Challenges Governor to Ride Across LA Says:

[...] from the LA-ist article.  +Check out Matt’s original letter to Governor Brown [...]

October 15th, 2012 at 9:26 pm